Sunday, July 17, 2016

I Have Ten Friends on Facebook

Last week, I started a blog on salon.com just to be nerdy. A few days later, I received an email from my dear friend, Kerry Yancy Dolan. She was rounding up the Class of ’81 from Trinity Valley School and was inviting us to join Facebook. Innocently and unceremoniously, I clicked on the link.
 
My world was transformed. 
 
I received countless invitations of friendship from distant lands (i.e., Fort Worth). Within 24 hours, I had ten – count them, ten! – friends from high school, which is twice as many as I had back then.
 
I felt as if I had been grabbed by the scruff of the neck and thrown naked into the 21st century. I now had a blog and a Facebook page. I felt young and powerful! If only I had a cell phone, I’d be immortal!  I hadn’t felt this cool since spelling “apterous” correctly in the high school spelling bee.
 
Then my troubles began. I tried to write a message: There was no italics. I tried to send a long letter: There was no room. I tried to post a blog: I couldn’t. I had nothing but a “wall” to write on, which Mr. Gustafson told me never to do.
 
Then it dawned on me: Facebook sucks.    
 
But I’m not a quitter, and I wasn’t going to abandon my friends. I came up with a solution: I would post a blog on salon.com and link it to Facebook!
 
My excitement was irrepressible. Having just landed in the 21st century, I was forging into the 22nd.
 
And so here we are.
 
Today’s blog is dedicated to the Class of ’81. If you’re not a member, please visit Sheldon the Wonderhorse’s blog instead. 
 
Hello, TVS alumni. It’s been great to hear from you.
 
I don’t have much to report. For eighteen years, I have lived in Oklahoma City, the Athens of the Southwest. When I first moved here, I didn’t know whether to root for Texas or Oklahoma. Then I remembered that I hate sports, so it’s a moot point. I practice and teach medicine at the University of Oklahoma, ostensibly because I love academia, but really because no one will hire me north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I live in a small house with a perfect view of Tornado Alley.
 
But enough about me. How’s everyone doing? And by “everyone,” I mean Linda.
 
The Foreign Service? Jordan? Field hockey? I don’t know what you’re doing, Linda, but I’m writing very cautiously: I don’t want to end up in Guantanamo before the closing ceremonies.
 
The only TVS person I’ve spoken to in ten years is Kerry. We gossiped about Linda. By the way, Kerry, congratulations on your fantastic work. What a great idea. Can you get us on Twitter? (I have no idea what Twitter is, but I’m sure it’s something we should be part of).
 
Did Jay help pioneer this project? He was always light-years ahead of us technologically.
 
Has anyone heard from Robert? I wanted to contact him but he was working for John Ashcroft and I didn’t want to be detained without questioning. I miss the guy.
 
What about John? Haven’t heard from him since college.
 
I apologize for being slow to learn Facebook. I’ll try again this weekend. As I understand it, there’s a “wall-to-wall” section, which allows people to communicate individually. And what better way to market seamless communication than with a portal called “wall-to-wall.”
 
Kerry, thank you. You’re a sweet person. I’m going to love Facebook. Now I can click on names and make friends without emotional investment. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment